Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lot's of Snow

Almost 12" of snow, plus a layer of ice, after two consecutive winter storms this week.
It was bound to happen, Indiana getting slapped with major winter storms, but two in a row can be a bit much. At least we didn't lose power here, as some folks in the Hoosier state. For that I am counting my blessings.
One of the things I do have to get done is digging my car out from under all this. Plus try to get out a quarter mile lane. Considering that I drive a VW Beetle, with only 4" of clearance, I could be stuck at home for a while.
If you're like me, and you also have to shovel snow, here are a few Kitchen Girl tips.
Always dress in layers. This way you can shed a layer of clothing as your body warms up. You don't want to sweat heavily and catch a chill.
Speaking of warming up. Take a few minutes and walk in place, stretch your muscles, be active and get your body used to the idea that your going to be exercising. Shoveling snow can be a workout!
Don't overdo. Keep in mind your fitness level. Take breaks on a regular basis. Be kind to yourself.
To keep your feet warmer, put bread sacks over your socks before putting on your boots. This way, your tootsies can stay dry if your boots are not waterproof, or if snow falls down the top of your footwear. This simple little tip works wonders!
Not meaning to sound like your mother here, but lift with your legs, not your back.
While you may have heard most of these tips before, and think I sound like a broken record, it pays to heed the advice. Shoveling snow is hard, heavy work, and not worth a heart attack, or a thrown out back.
I myself will keep this in mind as I head out the door to free my car from Ole Man Winter.

No comments: