Friday, August 22, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to The Kitchen Girls Blog. Here you will find tips on country living/sustainable living skills, as well as recipes, and tips for simple living, or any information we think is useful to promote simple living.

Today, I made Peach Butter, using one half peck of fresh peaches purchased at a local farmer's market. I used my slow cooker to cook down the peeled and diced peaches while I tended to my busy work schedule. This evening I added spices, cooked the butter down to a thicker consistency and filled nine jelly jars. These I processed in a hot bath for 15 minutes. Voila! Homemade peach butter that I will enjoy during the winter months.

Peach Butter Recipe

1/2 peck of peaches, approximately 25-30 peaches
(tip: 5 peaches will about fill a pint jar.)
2 cups sugar
1 Tbs of Pumpkin Spice

Clean the peaches and slip the skins. If the peaches are ripe they will be easy to peel, or dip in boiling water for 30 seconds, dip in ice water. The skins will peel right off. Discard any bruised sections and blemishes, and the pits.
Cut the peaches into small pieces, place into crock pot, add the sugar and mix well. Turn the crock pot to the low setting. Let cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Prop the lid up to let steam and moisture escape. When the peaches have cooked down, mash any larger pieces, and stir in the spices. If the butter looks runny, turn the slow cooker to high, remove the lid and cook to a thicker consistency.

This recipe will fill 9 to 10 jelly jars, or half pint canning jars. Hot pack the jars and process for 15 minutes.

~ Paula


1 comment:

Steph said...

Hello, I just found your blog from a friend on Facebook. I'll look forward to learning from you!

Have you used honey or other non-sugar methods to make fruit butters?