Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What do I do with these things?

I've been thinking about the uses for the lids to laundry detergent jugs. The community recycling center will take the empty jugs, but not the lids, so I have accumulated several over the past several months.

I hate to throw them in the trash. The thick, heavy plastic won't break down anytime soon, and we throw too much away in the first place. So, in thinking about how to reuse these things, I've realized they make great scoops, can become plant starters, be sorting containers for beads or seeds, or anything small. They are a measuring cup, a tiny basket. They are whatever I can make of them.

Feel free to share your uses of the small, mundane things we tend to throw away. I'm always on the alert for creative ideas. Not only do I stretch my imagination, I help to save the planet in a small way, but hopefully one that adds up over time. That's well worth the effort to reduce, reuse and recycle.

~ Paula

No comments: